Out-of-home (OOH) advertising is a form of marketing that reaches consumers when they are out and about in the real world. It can take many different forms, from traditional billboards and posters to digital displays and even interactive experiences. As technology evolves, so does OOH. And today’s digital out-of-home advertising (DOOH) is more engaging and effective than ever before!
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the ultimate guide to developing a complete out-of-home advertising strategy – with a focus on digital billboards or DOOH advertising on digital billboards.
What is Out-of-Home Advertising?
Let’s begin by covering the basics of OOH advertising in greater detail. Out-of-home advertising, also commonly referred to as out-of-home media or outdoor advertising, is a broad category of marketing that includes any type of ad placed in public spaces. Billboards, bus shelters, and transit ads are all examples of out-of-home advertising.
(Learn more about OOH advertising and how it helps your business)
Digital out of home (DOOH) refers to the subset of out-of-home ads that are displayed on digital screens, such as LCDs, LEDs, and plasma displays. Digital billboards are an example of DOOH advertising. In today’s modern world, there are all kinds of benefits to opting for DOOH, so let’s talk about those next.
The Benefits of Digital Out-of-Home Advertising
Both varieties come with many benefits in the right circumstances, but DOOH advertising has a number of advantages over traditional out-of-home advertising, including:
- Increased flexibility: With DOOH, you can change your ad message on the fly to take advantage of current events or special promotions. Traditional out-of-home ads require weeks or even months of lead time to produce and deploy.
- Improved targeting: DOOH networks are often located in high-traffic areas where your target audience is most likely to be exposed to your message. You can also target specific demographics with DOOH advertising, such as people who live in a certain area or who have visited a particular location recently.
- Better measurement: With DOOH, you can track how many people are exposed to your ad and gauge its effectiveness. Traditional out-of-home ads are more difficult to measure.
(We explore these benefits even further in this post)
If you’re looking for a way to reach your target audience with an effective out-of-home advertising campaign, digital out-of-home advertising is definitely worth considering.
How to Create a Complete OOH Advertising Strategy
Do these benefits of OOH advertising, and specifically, DOOH advertising, have you convinced it’s time to give it a try? Then let’s talk about creating a strategy for doing so.
First, you need to understand your audience.
- What are their demographics?
- What is their daily commute like?
- When and where are they most likely to see your ad?
You also need to understand what message you want to send and how OOH advertising can help you achieve your specific marketing goals. To do so, consider these questions next:
- What are you trying to sell?
- Who is your target market?
- What is your budget?
- What are the specific goals you want to achieve with your OOH advertising campaign?
With these questions answered, you can begin to develop a complete out-of-home advertising strategy that will help you reach your target market and achieve your desired results.
But that’s not all! Keep reading for some tips on creating an effective OOH ad.
(Curious what billboard advertising costs in B.C.? Find out here)
Creating an Effective OOH Ad
With these insights in hand, you can start planning your campaign.
Here are a few tips:
- Keep it Simple: Because people will only have a few seconds to see your ad, make sure your message is clear and concise. Use strong visuals and simple language.
- Make it Memorable: Again, because people will only have a brief moment to take in your ad, you want it to be memorable. Use creative visuals and an attention-grabbing headline.
- Call to Action: Include a call to action that encourages people to take the next step, whether that’s visiting your website, calling your business, or coming into your store.
- Test and Measure: As with any marketing campaign, it’s important to test and measure the results of your OOH or DOOH advertising campaign. Keep track of your metrics so you can see what’s working and adjust accordingly for future advertising campaigns.
If you need help getting started, or would like more information on out-of-home advertising, contact Marquis Advertising today! We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and get you started on developing a successful out-of-home advertising campaign.
Did you learn a lot from this post? Here are three more posts to read next: